Tuesday 23 December 2014

Convert Suunto Moves (Runs) to GPX without Movescount

I've been highly impressed with my Suunto Ambit2 Black. A premium product with superior GPS connectivity, build quality and battery life. However much of the configuration needs to be done online at the Movescount website (and using the Moveslink application to upload your moves). Ordinarily this isn't a problem; however the Movecount website frequently goes down due to poor administration and management. This means that not only is it impossible to change the settings on your watch, but you are also unable to upload any runs.

Personally I use Movescount as a means to an end. I've set it up to automatically push my moves to Strava and, although I do look at the interesting stats Movescount produces, it is Strava where my head is (mainly due to the social aspects). I also do not change the settings on my watch that often - perhaps a couple of times a year, if that. 

So when the Movescount website goes down and it takes a couple of days to bring it back up (which frequently happens), I'm unable to upload my runs. This is compounded by Suunto making it notoriously difficult to export the runs from the watch.

However there is a way to get a GPX file which can then be uploaded to any running site you fancy - in my case Strava.

There are a number of 3rd party products on the market, but the method below (for use on Windows 7) is by far the easiest. Happy tracking!



No comments:

Post a Comment