Thursday 30 October 2014

Back Running!!!

I am one stubborn so-and-so!!!!

I've gone against my original plan to take a good 3 weeks off from running to allow the hamstring to heel, and decided to start running (all be it gently).

I know I should rest but I'm starting to put weight on and become unfit, so for the past couple of weeks I've been running regularly.

The real sign of how unfit I'd become was last Saturday when I attended Parkrun for the first time since April 2014. On that occasion I managed a new 5km PB of 23:20; I went out last Saturday and came in over a minute later and almost had a cardiac arrest! I can't believe 2 months ago I was running back-to-back 30km training runs; running marathon distance runs before 9am on a Sunday; and even doing a 50km training run before 10am on a Sunday! Now look at me - totally out of shape and mainly due to injury and then drinking a little too much.

Saturday was therefore a wake up call to do something about it before it gets worse. Don't get me wrong, I'm not fat and nor have I really put on that much weight; but my cardio is a lot worse. I've therefore decided to get back out and get my base fitness back!

I've run everyday this week and tried to keep to a sub-160 bpm target (incidentally I'm a high-beater). This is 10 bpm higher than I'd like, but at least it's a start. I've mixed my runs from short 5km lunch runs to hilly 17km runs. The idea is not to inject pace at this stage but to spend a couple of weeks pumping in slow and steady miles and get that heart rate more stable. I'll then start on speed work and progression runs. I'm hoping it won't take too long to get the fitness back - afterall, it's not like I'm starting from scratch.

As for the hamstring - well yes I can still feel it, but I think I can manage it. By not running fast; having a low cadence rate; and avoiding speedy up hill runs, I am able to manage the hamstring. Yes it sometimes feels like someone has punched me in the back of the leg, but at least it's not getting worse. In fact over the past week or some it seems to be getting a little better.

Yes I am stubborn...but what's new!

No comments:

Post a Comment